Friday, July 24, 2009

Geekdom: Geek vs Nerd.

I've been called many things in my day. I accept the occasional: geek, dork, or clown. However, what I will not stand for, and what I am not, is a nerd.

Confused? Well be confused no more!

The originating name Geek, was one who bit the heads off of chickens in the circus. I do not enjoy biting the heads off of any poultry of any kind, what I do enjoy are things. Geeks get the insane privileged of being able to be really enthusiastic about things. Things such as: the newest harry potter movie/book, Star Wars, comic books, or Spiderman (the vocabulary dictionary did not have Spiderman and I cried a little). So if one calls me a geek, that's just saying, "You like things!". I have been known to jump up and down and be TOO excited about explaining Star Wars mythology. Very Geeky. We care more about science fiction than we do conforming to society.

Now, Nerds get the same privilege. However the difference lies in the things. Nerds are commonly associated with things like: computers, math, and pocket protectors. Now, I do not have a passion for computers, math, or pocket protectors so I cannot call myself a Nerd. They are also more school smart, where as Geeks are just awesome smart.

People often think these titles are interchangeable, when they are quite different. Nerds tend to be less social, confined to their basement. I do not have any problems with Nerds, nor am I trying to offend them, I'm simply stating the difference.

I am Geek, hear me roar.

Martin.

PS: http://www.filmshaft.com/images/2009/06/olivia-munn.jpg
This is Olivia Munn. She's a Geek. Jealous?

No comments:

Post a Comment