Thursday, December 3, 2009

Movie Reivews: Do Movie Critics Matter Anymore?

I thought about the idea of this post after seeing the New Moon boxoffice. New Moon, is the latest in the twilight (ugh) "saga", I say "saga" because four shitty books is hardly a saga. Anyway, the New Moon numbers were outrageously high, which was, to be expected. This was DESPITE critics bashing the movie and DESPITE critics bashing the first "film", I say "film because two abercrombie models complaining and playing vampire baseball and then having a contrived climax is hardly a film. I pose the question, do movie critics matter anymore? Well, yes and no. Mostly no.

No, is evident from not only the twlight "saga" but also from things like Tyler Perry movies, or Uwe Boll flicks, or Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer movie, movies (date movie, epic movie, disaster movie). All of these filmakers, no matter how universally hated by universal movie critics, continue to find money and reap money for the drool they put out on screens (with the exception of Uwe Boll, he hardly makes any money). I think the downfall of movie criticism started with the death of Gene Siskel. Siskel, was part of the famous movie review duo Siskel and Ebert. When he died of complications from surgery due to brain cancer, there were several review shows that tried to follow their infamous claim to fame. Sadly, none succeeded. Maybe people stopped caring what critics said, and they'd see it and see if they'd like it.

Yes, is evident by the fact that there are people like me. People, who review films on YouTube or other sites or on TV who review it because they WANT to. Because they love movies. And because they enjoy to show their opinions.

I do know that I don't write reviews because I want to show people how to think, I just write it because I love reviewing movies and I love film. If I didn't, I wouldn't be doing it.


Kisses.

Martin.

PS: Look out for the next film review: Fantastic Mr. Fox, as well as the next Top Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment