Thursday, August 6, 2009

Important Thing/Life: John Hughes.

The Breakfast Club.
Sixteen Candles.
Pretty in Pink.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

What do these movies have in common? Besides being all hilarious, all heartfelt, and all belonging to my favorite movies of all time (maybe excluding Sixteen and Pretty), they were all directed and written by one of the best creative minds ever. John Hughes.

There was a point in my middle school years when I discovered these films and the work of John Hughes. He brought us funny and poignant films while all being maybe a little cheesy, but all being entirely entertaining and meaningful. I truly believe that these films gave me the final push to become a creative writer and aspiring director. These films mean a lot to me and are ones that I still re-watch today. Are they great/perfect films? Not at all. Do I love them? With all my heart. Is John Hughes one of my favorite writers/biggest inspirations? Yes.

John Hughes died this morning of a heart-attack while on a morning walk in Manhattan. He was 59. Obviously this came as an enormous shock to me when I heard this a few minutes ago. Yes, it is devastating that he has passed and all his talent with him, but what really hits me is that he hasn't written anything successful in ten years and hasn't directed anything in eighteen.
I was hoping for another hit from Mr. Hughes, maybe something to affect my high school years just like The Breakfast Club did my middle school ones. He captured teen and adult angst like no other and made films which I really connected to. And I believe that if a human being can make a piece of art that connects or changes another human being, that human, has done a good job of being human. Not many people can say they have truly affected someone. John Hughes can.

This morning a legend, a genius, a creative genius, a brain, a criminal, an athlete, and a basket case died. Most suddenly, most horribly died, on a seemingly ordinary day.

Rest in peace Mr. John Hughes.

.silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment