Monday, August 3, 2009

Movie Review: Funny People.

Usually I won't review a movie here that has just come out or a movie that's more popular or one that's mainstream. I am making an exception for, Funny People.

Most movie watchers today know of the comedic writer/director Judd Apatow. Many films go with that name and it seems that his name alone has sparked its own genre. A genre consisting of the same humor, the same actors, and other coincidences. Now, this is not a bad thing. The two previous films Apatow has directed (The 40yearold Virgin, Knocked Up) I have loved and many other films that he has been involved with, either writing or producing, are usually ones I tend to check out. I enjoy this new "genre" of comedy mostly because today we have this type of comedy, and we have things like Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, and Meet the Spartans. Films that I simply despise.

I'm telling you this so you get to know where I'm coming from when I watched Funny People, for this review requires a lot of back round of my expectations, my tastes, and view points.

Funny People is about a successful, aging comedian George, played by Adam Sandler, who discovers he has a fatal blood disease. Upon knowing this he hires Ira, played by the great Seth Rogen, to be his assistant as well as write jokes for him when George goes back to doing stand up.

That's the central plot, what comes with that are various other story lines dealing with Ira's roommates, George's ex-girlfriend who George is trying to win back, Ira's female comedian love interest, along with underlying themes of death, regret, second chances, and friendship. Now, that may sound cheesy, but what Funny People manages to do is capture all these plot lines, themes, and characters in one film, changing the audiences emotion in mere seconds.

One thing that must be mentioned, before I go any further, is that most reviews I've read, and EVERYONE of my friends who have seen this movie have given it either an unfavorable or a mediocre review. However, all of these critics and all of my friend's opinions are all sharing all the same reasons why they disliked this film.
Now, I see EVERY single flaw they have with this movie, but the bottom line is that every single thing they have said, does not bother me the least. Which is why this review is going to be a bit unorthodox, for I'm telling you that I loved this movie, yet I would not recommend it.

This film is not what most people would expect. You do not laugh every minute and you do have to give this emotional connect to these characters. Something, that Apatow's audience is not prepared to do.

However, I had a feeling about what this film would be, and what it would mean to me, and when I walked out of the theater I was correct.

One of the main reasons of why I love this film, is not only is it hilarious in many parts, but it also shows a certain maturity which is very refreshing. I found myself being very depressed through so much of this, which most people will not enjoy, but Judd Apatow has really shown a more sensitive script even with the raunchy hilarious comedy that comes with it. He has also matured as a very capable director when it comes to set up, and following through with shots.

We also see a maturity in the actors, Adam Sandler playing a role very close to his own life, and showing a darker side of himself. Jason Schwartzman shows up playing a believable douchebag who you love to hate. Eric Bana also shows a comedic side playing George's ex-girlfriend Laura's new husband.

Another quick mention is the soundtrack which is very key to many scenes. It consists of folky James Taylor to classic rock to alternative and it really helped me get into the movie.

Overall, not for everyone, if you agree with most things I'm saying about film in general see this one, if not, it's still worth it to check it out on DVD for it still holds that Apatow raunchy comedy.


Martin.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't seen Funny People, but caught a delightful interview with Judd Apatow on The Actor's Studio with clips from the film.

    By the way, last night I saw "Hannah Takes the Stairs" on the Sundance channel. AWESOME. A $10,000 budget film (well, that's a guess) that held me captive. Amazing acting, brilliant script and direction. Check it out!!

    Rama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if Funny People is your thing but I will definitely check out Hannah Takes the Stairs. Thanks for the recommendations and keep reading/commenting!

    ReplyDelete