Thursday, September 10, 2009

Geekdom: A brief speculation of Avatar (I spelled brief wrong at first).

A little while ago I talked about the highly anticipated trailer for James Cameron's Avatar. This being Cameron's last movie since that other movie about that rich angst-filled teen and that poor angst-filled teen on that boat.

In that post I praised the film. And while I still am highly excited for it...I found some flaws...

If you haven't seen the trailer yet watch it so you'll know what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoHDzre-Cw

Okay now Sam Worthington is the main character. He plays a paraplegic war veteran in a wheelchair going to the planet of Pandora. We see Sam's character getting off of a high tech spaceship wheeling himself in a wheelchair...now, in the same shot, we see this:



So uh...they have this...but they can't conquer this:



WE ALREADY HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO SUPPORT PARAPLEGICS (though it may be in primitive form). Also, HE'S A WAR VETERAN! UNLESS THEY LIVE IN SOME DICTATORSHIP, SOLDIERS ARE COVERED WITH HEALTH INSURANCE.
This means that THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO GIVE HIM SOME FORM OF LEG BRACE WHETHER ROBOTIC OR NOT AND THERE SHOULD BE NO EXCUSE TO WHY HE DOES NOT RECEIVE SAID TECHNOLOGY. IT'S A WHEELCHAIR. YOU'RE IN THE FUTURE!
Come on James...

Also, Cameron said that the technology used in the film is unlike anything anyone's ever seen and that the film will be revolutionary. Really, it looks as good as Revenge of the Sith. Maybe it's going to be in the 3D aspect of the film that will blow me away but as of now, I don't see anything revolutionary.

I still think the film looks great and am still excited for it. I guess we'll have to wait for it on the big screen.

Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment